Saturday, February 6, 2016

Why do we agree?

     In the TED Talk "How to Spot a Liar" by Pamela Meyer she referred to lying as a cooperative act, but what does that mean and why do we agree to do it? She views lying as cooperative act because she claims that we as the recipient of the lie choose to be lied to. At first this thought caught me off guard and I was just thinking, whatever I do not agree to be lied to, but in reality it makes sense. As I am talking to an individual who chooses to lie to me I am choosing to believe it. I am making the assumption that I know this person well enough that they have strong enough morals they would not lie to me, but that isn't always the case. This TED Talk almost made me feel stupid for the fact that I allow people to lie to me. Why would they do that, and why am I dumb enough to believe it? I could not believe the idea that lying was a cooperative act. I hope this post gets you thinking a little about maybe how many times you are allowing yourself to believe a lie, or how many times you know someone is lying but you let them do it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment